BCHBC Chapter Profile: Yarrow
The Yarrow Chapter of BCHBC is located in the Fraser Valley about an hour east of Vancouver, nestled in under Vedder Mountain. It originally consisted of many members of the Yarrow Riding and Driving Club. Yarrow currently has 68 members and draws its membership from the area between Mission and Hope BC. We have members from as far away as Summerland and Naramata. In the past we have even had members from Regina and Arizona. They believe in what we are trying to do.
The Yarrow Executive sits down at the beginning of every year and plans the schedule of events for the whole year. Revisions are sure to happen but this is where we start. Many people have to plan holidays well in advance so this is one way we try to accommodate our members. Our executive meets the first Wednesday of every month at either Tim Horton’s or a local restaurant. Then we meet at the Yarrow Community Hall the second Wednesday of every month for a general meeting which usually includes an educational speaker or presentation of what someone has been up to in the way of riding.
Yarrow Chapter meetings stick to a trails focus but does many other things to support our members. The main trails that we help maintain on an official basis are:
- Trans Canada Trail in the Chilliwack River Valley
- Horse trail networks on Vedder Mountain (Lucky’s trails and Waterworks trails)
- Horse trail loop in Chilliwack Provincial Park, Watt Creek Trailhead
- Horse trails in EC Manning Provincial Park
- Whitworth Horse Camp and trails in the Skagit Valley Provincial Park
- There are many other trails that we monitor and help out with on an unofficial basis (no signed agreements).
One of our biggest projects to date was the building of the Headwaters Equestrian Campground in EC Manning Park. We believe in partnerships and with that has come many opportunities to promote “Our Right to Ride”. To build these partnerships we have members sitting on the following committees:
- Friends of Manning Park (FOMP)
- Chilliwack Recreation Advisory Group (CRAG)
- Outdoor Recreation Council of BC
- Vedder Mountain Trails Association
Yarrow Chapter works with the Friends of Manning Park to help maintain the horse trails in EC Manning Park and is represented at monthly meetings with the Chilliwack Recreation Advisory Group and the District Recreation Officer for the Chilliwack Forest District to dicuss recreation issues.
Some of our annual events are:
- Mountain High Hot Dogs: meet at some high elevation for a social hot dog roast!
- Local rides every month to celebrate Mother’s Day and Father’s Day, Valentines, etc.
- A summer rig ride every month to a destination like Manning, Rainbow, Lundbom, etc.
- Fun Days at a local indoor arena during the winter season.
- Games, lessons, trail challenges and this year, maybe even some cow work.
- November Toy Ride: everyone brings a new toy that is donated to the Chilliwack Community Services for give away at Christmas.
- We usually ride the Cultus Lake horse trail, and make the Toy Ride a poker run as well.
- Christmas Awards and Potluck where we recognize all the valuable volunteers from our work bee reports with an award!
Yarrow Chapter Executive:
Vice Chair & Board Alternate: Karin Smith
Secretary: Rose Schroeder
Treasurer/Membership Coord.: Cheryl Tarbet
Directors: Lorie Owens, Jocelyn Wilson, and Ed Elias