At the October 2012 Fall Board of Directors Meeting, the Back Country Horsemen of BC decided to set up a Grant for trails and access projects across BC that registered BCHBC Chapters could apply to. Available funds will be allocated to projects at the Selection Committee's discretion.
See bottom of this page or go to "Resources/Downloads" Tab to download forms.
WHO CAN APPLY
- Recognized Chapters whose members are all in good standing with BCHBC
- Projects for trails and trailheads using this grant as seed money.
- Trail construction or renovation
- Trail rehabilitation
- Trail Head construction, repair and improvement
- Trail infrastructure ( ie. bridging, puncheon, turnpikes, information kiosks)
- Trail and trailhead signage
- Mapping of Trails and production
ELIGIBLE PROJECT COSTS
- Material costs of upgrading, building, repairing or renovating trails and trail heads
- Cost of purchasing signage
- Equipment rental for upgrading, building, repairing or renovating trails and trail heads
- Permits and licensing fees
- Assessment fees (ie. Environmental or cultural)
INELIGIBLE PROJECT COSTS
- Cost incurred prior to project application
- Costs incurred after project completion date
- Costs of developing project proposal
- Cost of purchasing land or real estate and associated fees
- Previously incurred debts, financing charges or interest payments on loans
- On-going leasing of land, buildings and other facilities
- Cost of any goods or services which are received as donations or in kind
- PST, GST for which the applicant is eligible for a rebate and/or any other costs eligible for rebates
- Legal and accounting fees
- Travel costs for project coordinators
- Any other costs not directly associated with the process and completion of the submitted project
- Projects that cross privately owned land and have no formal agreement or are short term
Other Deciding Criteria - the BCHBC Trail Grant Section Committee may use some of the following criteria to choose between eligible projects:
• Projects may be selected based on the importance of the project to BCHBC members and their local community
• Projects may be selected based on the number of BCHBC members and other equestrians it will serve or impact
• Projects may be selected based on their health, environmental, conservation and/or cultural benefits
QUALIFICATION CRITERIA - each project application must contain the following:
- Download and complete a Trail Grant Application form.
- A budget including proof that your club has already secured 20% of the total cash expenditures in dollars. (See template included with application)
- Detailed plans including:
- Written permission from the jurisdiction in which the project is located (ie. Prov. Park, Regional District or Rec Sites and Trails, (Min. of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations)
- If a project involves crossing Private Land (owned by an individual or a Business) then proof of a long term agreement must be produced
- Evidence of community support for the project. (3 letters or emails of support from local Non-government organizations (NGO’s), other User Group Organizations
- Any and all signage and media releases and announcements regarding the project must included the BCHBC logo and acknowledge the financial support of BCHBC
During the Project:
- Have you submitted an interim report and budget with pictures to BCHBC at some point during the construction of your project?
After the Project:
- Have you sent in the following within two (2) months of the project’s completion date:
- a report with details on project progress, challenges, and successes.
- a final budget with any receipts.
- unused funds returned.
- photos of the finished project.
- a completed Online Trail Guide form and accurate maps of the project area trail system.
- Grant funds cannot be used for purposes that have not been approved by the BCHBC Trails Grant Selection Committee. The Committee needs to be notified of any changes to the original proposal.
- Funds must be used by Dec 31 of the year in which the application was approved.
- Any unused funds need to be returned to BCHBC on completion of the project
The applicant Chapter must provide a final report and budget to BCHBC within 2 months of the project completion date. The report should contain the following information:
COMPLETING THE BUDGET TABLE
The budget includes essential information for the evaluation of your proposal. Please complete it accurately and carefully.
CONTRIBUTION SOURCES (Where the Funds Will Come From)
These include funds provided to the project by your club or other organizations, firms or individuals. Identify each source in the budget. Include also sources of other grant funding.
- Contributions made in the form of cash or cheques from all sources.
- BCHBC grant request: indicate the amount requested.
- The sum of total cash costs and in-kind support.
- Expenditure Areas (Where Funds Will Be Spent)
- List the specific types of project costs such as services, fees, materials etc. being purchased and provided to carry out the project. Attach quotations from service/material suppliers when available.
EXPENDITURE AREAS (Where Funds Will Be Spent)
List the specific types of project costs such as services, fees, materials etc. being purchased and provided to carry out the project. Attach quotations form service/material suppliers when available.
TO DOWNLOAD APPLICATION FILES, SELECT AND CLICK ON DOWNLOAD BELOW: