The Yarrow Chapter of BCHBC is located in the Fraser Valley about an hour east of Vancouver, nestled under Vedder Mountain and beside the Vedder River. It consists of passionate and community involved membership, who believe in what we are trying to do and in fostering a good reputation for equestrians out on the trails, both in the backcountry and the front country.
The Yarrow Executive sits down at the beginning of every year and plans the schedule of events for the whole year. Revisions are sure to happen, but this is where we start. Many people have to plan holidays well in advance so this is one way we try to accommodate our members. Our executive meets the first Wednesday of every month to attend to club business. Then we meet at the Yarrow Community Hall the second Wednesday of every month for a general meeting which usually includes an educational speaker or presentation of what someone has been up to in the way of riding. These meetings are well attended and we strive to have a speaker each month – that covers a wide range of topics and is of interest to our members.
Yarrow Chapter meetings stick to a trails focus but do many other things to support our members. The main trails that we help maintain on an official basis are:
- Trans Canada Trail in the Chilliwack River Valley
- Horse trail networks on Vedder Mountain (Lucky’s trails and Waterworks trails)
- Horse trail loop in Chilliwack Provincial Park, Wa Creek Trailhead
- Horse trails in EC Manning Provincial Park
- Kearsley Creek Horse Camp and trails in the Mission area.
There are many other trails that we monitor and help out with on an unofficial basis (no signed agreements).
One of our biggest projects to date was the building of the Headwaters Equestrian Campground in EC Manning Park, Kearsley Creek Equestrian Campground and the Nesakwatch bridge replacement on The Great Trail (formerly TCT). We believe in partnerships and with that has come many opportunities to promote “Our Right to Ride”. To build these partnerships we have members sign on the following committees:
- Friends of Manning Park (FOMP)
- Chilliwack Recreation Advisory Group (CRAG)
- Outdoor Recreation Council of BC
- Vedder Mountain Trails Association
- Chilliwack Parks and Trails Advisory Committee
Yarrow Chapter works with the Friends of Manning Park to help maintain the horse trails in EC Manning Park and is represented at monthly meetings with the Chilliwack Recreation Advisory Group and the District Recreation Officer for the Chilliwack Forest District to discuss recreation issues.
Some of our annual events are:
- Annual Pub Night and silent auction.
- Local rides every month to celebrate Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Valentines, etc.
- A summer rig ride every month to a destination like Manning, Rainbow, Lundbom, etc.
- Fun Days at a local indoor arena during the winter season.
- Games, lessons, trail challenges and this year, maybe even some cow work.
- November Poppy ride to commemorate the sacrifices made for our freedom.
- Christmas awards and potluck where we recognize all the valuable volunteers from our work bee reports with an award!
For more information please contact us below or follow us on FaceBook!